Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 158-162

A comparison of developing breast cancer-related lymphedema between mastectomy with reconstruction and mastectomy alone among breast cancer patients in Saudi Arabia


1 Medical Intern, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
2 Consultant/Section Head Plastic Surgery and Director, Burn Treatment Center, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
3 Department of Medical Education, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Correspondence Address:
Malik M Almailabi
Medical Intern, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Jeddah
Saudi Arabia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ssj.ssj_8_19

Rights and Permissions

Context: The study was undertaken to compare developing breast cancer-related lymphedema between those who underwent mastectomy with reconstruction and mastectomy alone. Aims: One of the most feared consequences after a mastectomy is breast cancer-related lymphedema (BCRL). However, few papers have questioned whether breast reconstruction impacts the development of lymphedema. This study aims to determine if breast reconstruction has an effect on the incidence of BCRL. Furthermore, the effect of the time (immediate vs. delayed) and type (implant based vs. autologous) of breast reconstruction on the development of BCRL will be evaluated. Settings and Design: We conducted a retrospective cohort study on 320 patients who underwent mastectomy with reconstruction and mastectomy alone between January 1, 2007, and December 31, 2017, at King Abdulaziz Medical City – Jeddah. Subjects and Methods: We conducted a retrospective cohort study on 320 patients who underwent mastectomy with or without breast reconstruction between January 2007 and December 2017. We reviewed patient medical records progressively to extract patients' characteristics, operative details, and lymphedema information. We divided our sample into two main groups: patients who underwent mastectomy with reconstruction and mastectomy alone. Mastectomy with reconstruction group was subdivided into immediate or delayed reconstruction and autologous or implant-based reconstruction. Statistical Analysis Used: Statistical analysis was performed using the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences version 20. Results: Of the total sample size 320, only 78 (24.4% (underwent mastectomy with breast reconstruction (Group 1), while the rest 242 (75.6%) underwent mastectomy alone (Group 2). From both the groups, 24 (7.5%) patients developed lymphedema; there was no significant difference between the breast reconstruction and development of lymphedema (P = 0.67). We subdivided Group 1 (patients who underwent mastectomy with breast reconstruction) into immediate breast reconstruction (40 patients, [51%]) and delayed breast reconstruction (38 patients, [49%]). In comparison between immediate versus delayed breast reconstruction, there was no significant difference between immediate and delayed breast reconstruction (P = 0.67). In terms of the type of reconstruction, we further subdivided Group 1 (patients who underwent mastectomy with breast reconstruction) into implant-based breast reconstruction (42 patients, [54%]), and autologous breast reconstruction (36 patients, [46%]). In comparison between implant-based versus autologous breast reconstruction, there was no significant difference between implant-based and autologous breast reconstruction (P = 0.66). Conclusions: Although our result is insignificant, it suggests that patients who underwent mastectomy with reconstruction have a lower incidence of BCRL in comparison with those who underwent mastectomy alone. Moreover, our result suggests that immediate breast reconstruction and implant-based breast reconstruction have a lower incidence than delayed and autologous breast reconstruction. Further studies are needed to determine if the breast reconstruction has an effect on the development of lymphedema.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed164    
    Printed11    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded26    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal